Charting The Nation
Work Record ID:
Historic Collections, University of Aberdeen
[Detail from:] Abredoniae novae et veteris descriptio = A description of new and of old Aberdeens, with the places neerest adjacent / auctore Jacobo Gordono.
[S.l. : s.n., 1661]
Gordon, James (b.1615?, d.1686)
This detail from the map of Aberdeen drawn by Parson Gordon of Rothiemay in 1661 illustrates the difficulties for shipping coming into Aberdeen harbour in the 17th century. Massive sand banks left only a narrow, shallow channel up to the town itself. As shown by Gordon, larger ships anchored at Torry and goods were carried to the town by smaller boats. Even these had to wait off Futty (Footdee) for the high tide. The separate fishing mooring is shown with handwritten annotations suggesting that the back edge of this bay is inaccurately drawn. Gordon would have pleased the town council by his careful inclusion of their 17th century harbour improvements such as the pier begun in 1607, the Packhouse or weigh house from 1634 and the quayhead extension. These and other works were essential to encourage foreign trade.
59.9 x 74.7cm (1' 11 9/16" x 2' 5 7/16")
Moir, D.G., Early maps of Scotland, v.2, 1983, p.245.
© 2002 Historic Collections, University of Aberdeen
Repro File Type:
Repro File Size (bytes):
[Detail from:] Abredoniae novae et veteris descriptio = A description of new and of old Aberdeens, with the places neerest adjacent / auctore Jacobo Gordono. [1 of 1]
Repro Display Measurement (pixels):
4663 x 2239
Repro ID Number:
Repro Old ID Number:
Scanned under glass and within frame
Repro Capture Date: