Charting The Nation
Work Record ID:
National Library of Scotland
[Detail from:] A new and correct map of the Shire of Peebles or Tweddale
[Edinburgh?: s.n.], 1741.
Cooper, Richard (b.1696, d.1764)
Edgar, William (active Circa 1741)
Charles, Earl of Traquair
Detail of a map of Peebles published by the surveyor William Edgar in 1741. The 'cartouche' (a decorative framed title), common on early maps, dedicates the map to Charles, Earl of Traquair, a major landowner in the Peebles area. Traquair house has been drawn as a mansion with two flanking wings. In common with many Scottish mansions, during the 17th century Traquair had been extended from a defensive tower house to a 4-storied mansion with two service wings flanking a front courtyard added. Landowners like the Earl of Traquair were among the most well-educated and sufficiently rich people who collected maps in the 17th and 18th century.
56.8 x 45.5cm (1' 10 3/8" x 1' 5 15/16")
Hand coloured in outline
Moir, D.G., Early maps of Scotland, v.2, 1983, p.218.
© 2002 The National Library of Scotland
Repro File Type:
Repro File Size (bytes):
[Detail from:] A new and correct map of the Shire of Peebles or Tweddale [1 of 1]
Repro Display Measurement (pixels):
3510 x 4839
Repro ID Number:
Repro Old ID Number:
Repro Capture Date: