Charting The Nation
Work Record ID:
Marischal Museum #30421
Historic Collections, University of Aberdeen
Abredoniae novae et veteris descriptio = A description of new and of old Aberdeens, with the places neerest adjacent / auctore Jacobo Gordono.
[S.l. : s.n., 1661]
Gordon, James (b.1615?, d.1686)
Keith, Robert, Bishop of Fife (b.1681, d.1757)
On 16 October 1661, Parson James Gordon of Rothiemay presented his newly produced map of Aberdeen to the town council, who rewarded him with, 'a silver piece or cup of 20 oz of silver, a silk hat ... and a silk gown'. A note on the map, dated 1750, states that the map and a coin were given to Marischal College, Aberdeen. The handwriting has been identified as belonging to Bishop Robert Keith, a historian and collector who made several donations to his former university. Of particular interest are a series of annotations, mostly in Latin, apparently in a different handwriting. They are corrections and annotations to the map. For example in Old Aberdeen 'Cluyns Garden' is corrected to 'Cluny' and by the Queen's Links there appears to be an instruction on redrawing Broad Hill.
59.9 x 47.4cm (1' 11 9/16" x 1' 6 11/16")
Moir, D.G., Early maps of Scotland, v.2, 1983, p.245.
© 2002 Historic Collections, University of Aberdeen
Repro File Type:
Repro File Size (bytes):
Abredoniae novae et veteris descriptio = A description of new and of old Aberdeens, with the places neerest adjacent / auctore Jacobo Gordono. [1 of 1]
Repro Display Measurement (pixels):
7072 x 7072
Repro ID Number:
Repro Old ID Number:
Scanned under glass and within frame
Repro Capture Date: